Monday, March 23, 2009

Inspirational Speakers

In high school we would always have an assembly on the first day of school. The assembly consisted of the usually stuff: welcoming people back, welcoming incoming students, and explaining what's going on during the upcoming year. Another part of the assembly was an inspirational speaker. It was a man whose name I have forgotten but the first time I heard him I was blown away. He told a story about how he came from having to use food stamps to becoming successful. It was one of those stories that just completely grab your attention. It was like a Lifetime movie. I was so moved. The next year we had the same assembly with the same inspirational speaker. He told that years incoming students the exact same story. He did so every year until I graduated.

I always wondered how schools pick their inspirational speakers. I imagine a group of people who are all inspirational speakers waiting to give their speech to a group of school faculty. Then I imagine the faculty grading the speakers on thing like how much the speaker can relate to students. Or even something like how much does the story touch your heart or give you hope. Better yet, if the speaker inspires people.

It is so weird if these people really have to audition for speaking to a group of students. Also, why did they keep the same guy for so many years? I would think they would have a different person to give you a variety of stories where people made it. Not just one story that you hear over and over. A story which most likely does not apply to any of the students that attended me school. The whole idea of inspirational speakers just boggles my mind.